Better Turn That Penny in to the Police

I'm really sorry this post is even later than I said it would be. I wrote it and forgot to publish it.

~ * ~

I'd like to share an interesting cultural difference with you.

Kaz and I were walking back from an amazing meal at the Shibuya branch of Zauo Fishing Restaurant, a restaurant where they keep live tanks of fish where as a customer, you are expected to make your own catch, and their fish is prepared any way you want it. I caught a red seabream that was both feisty and delicious. We got it done half sashimi, half fried, and since Kaz didn't want the middle of the fish (artfully presented to us on a skewer) to go to waste, he had it made into miso soup. I will share video from the experience in an upcoming vlog.

I don't like this lip clamp thing. It looks like it hurts. I was
supporting the fish with my other hand until it flopped and cut it.

Anyway, we were about to enter Shibuya station, and Kaz spotted a 50 yen coin (roughly 45 cents) on the ground. He's not one to pick up dropped change, but if I see anything larger than a penny (I was shamed into not picking up pennies by Kaz and my father,) I will pick it up. A nickel is not entirely insignificant portion of the price of a pack of Reese's Cups, after all.

As he discouraged me from grabbing it, I did so anyway, and was halfway through slipping it into my purse when he said, "You have to report it to the police."

I chuckled, not thinking anything of what he said. I giggled, incredulous, as he guided me toward the police box fifteen feet away. I couldn't turn around because the officers had already taken notice of the black girl, as many people here do. I talked through laughter as the police pulled out a Lost Item form and had me fill out the bare minimum, as one officer asked the other, "What should we do with this?"

As we left the police box, I still couldn't believe what Kaz just made me do.

"I hate you. I hate you so much right now," I said, before bursting into full laughter

"Why? Why are you laughing?"

"That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever experienced."

He proceeded to explain that in Japan, even if you find one yen on the ground, you must report it to the police, and that it would have been bad of me to keep it.

"You did the right thing."

Even though I could tell Kaz was being entirely serious, I could not and still cannot take him seriously on this.

In the U.S., as far as I'm aware, the law on such a find is somewhat unclear, and enforcement is close to nil. Unless there's some sort of identification with the money, it's a large sum (over $100) or you see the owner drop it or look for it, it's not considered immoral in American culture, and no one is going to pursue you because you pick up a $5 blowing by on a windy day.

Personally, if I find change, a $1, or a $5, I keep it. If it's $10-$100, or multiple bills close to one another (indicating they likely haven't moved from where they were dropped,) and there's a hint as to where they may have come from, I'll take the money to that place. For example, I found $18 outside of my old apartment, and I took it to the front desk. After a day without anyone inquiring, they gave it back to me (they actually told me to keep it outright, but I didn't think that was right.) If it's $50 or more, I might even try to stick around for a bit before turning it in. If it's significantly over $100, and it's not clear where it came from, then I guess I'd take it to the police. If it's in a wallet, and it's unclear where the person last went, I take it to the address in the wallet.

If Kaz encounters loose change, he ignores it. He considers it immoral to keep any found money, but he doesn't want to put in the work to turn in such an insignificant amount.

He says that in three months, if no one claims the 50 yen coin, I can claim it as my own [insert eye roll].

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find Your Love in Japan, Kaz's Parents, and Our YouTube Channel

~*~ At The Gala ~*~

I'm in Japan! Sorry About Last Week.